This week: Final Push for $15; the Women’s March; MLK Day, Training on Nonviolent Direct Action; and Committee updates!!
JOIN the FINAL PUSH for $15 MINIMUM WAGE: Together, we are mobilizing to win $15 minimum wage in Montgomery County, and we’ve sent more than 100 letters in support of the $15 minimum wage! We’ve added our voices to a push all across Montgomery County.
If you haven’t written a personal letter yet to Ike Leggett and Roger Berliner, please write your letter, today, by clicking here: https://actionnetwork.org/
Now for a final push:
Can you join us and more than 90 community allies already committed to attend the MoCo Council vote? Let us know if you can make it.
Tuesday, January 17 at 9 AM – 12 PM
Montgomery Council County
100 Maryland Ave, Rockville, MD 20850
(See public parking right around the corner)
The vote is looking good, but we need a last push to build the majority and move the rest of the MoCo Council and Ike Leggett to “Yes”!
JOIN the WOMEN’s MARCH, SATURDAY JANUARY 21st: Our Women’s March Committee worked hard with the office of Jamie Raskin for Congress and organized 30 buses and a breakfast rally! We are sad to say that the breakfast Rally at the Civic Center, and the buses are booked up, with 1300 people. We hope you acted fast when we sent out the link.. Even if you cannot join the breakfast Rally, please join us for the March! Take METRO down to meet the Maryland Delegation at 9:30 am at the Native American Indian Museum Maryland Ave. Entrance. You can try to metro all the way to L’Enfant Plaza or Smithsonian, or exit at Union Station and walk with many of us. The March begins at 10:00 am at Independence and 3rd street.
Advice: Bring a water bottle, small bag, no sticks on signs, and be prepared to walk and to stand for long periods. As this March will be HUGE, great patience will be needed. Check out the March website for more advice: www.womensmarch.com.
TP Mobilization Sign Making Parties (kids welcome): SUNDAY, JANUARY 15th, 1:00 pm, Willow Street Yoga in Silver Spring. And Friday, January 20th Takoma Park Sign Making Party at the Heffner Center at 3:00 pm at 42 Oswego Ave (near public works).
NONVIOLENT DIRECT ACTION TRAINING on MONDAY, JANUARY 16th (Martin Luther King Day) 1:30 – 4:30 pm, with the Education and Training team and Nadine Bloch! Prepare for the March! Prepare for Inauguration day protests. There is a 50 person limit. Sign up Here
Nonviolent direct action is a way that ordinary people throughout US history and around the world have fought for rights, freedom, and justice. Join us for an interactive, experiential dive into some of the history and practices in this 3 hour workshop.
$20 suggested donation at the door and no one will be turned away for lack of funds This session will be led by Nadine Bloch an activist, organizer, trainer, artist and Takoma Park resident. For more than 30 years, Nadine has combined the principles and strategies of nonviolent resistance with creative use of arts & culture to make training, facilitation, and protest more effective.
M.L.K. Day of Service and Evening Celebration! Takoma Park Celebrates & Remembers the Life and Promise of REV. DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. on Monday, January 16th 2017 Come join us for a day of service and celebration in honor of Dr. King. We will clean up public parks and host a potluck supper with music and a medley of uplifting songs and sing-a-longs. Let’s get to know our neighbors and support each other during these challenging times. Service Day starts at 10:00 am & goes to 1:00 pm. Two Locations: 1) Trim invasive vines at Dorothy’s Woods–meet at corner of lower Woodland and Circle; bring gloves and hand tools if you have them. 2) Pick up trash in Takoma Woods- meet at Darwin Ave. parking lot, between TP Middle and Piney Branch Elementary; bring gloves. Student SSL hours can be earned.
Evening Celebration: Potluck supper and singing 5:00 pm – 7:30 pm Takoma Park Middle School 7611 Piney Branch Rd Silver Spring, MD Master of Ceremonies: Council Member Jarrett Smith Everyone is encouraged to bring a dish to share and please label contents. Food drive for the needy. Drop off canned or dried food Wednesday–Sunday at the Co-op, Ace Hardware, or TP community center, or bring extra preserved food to the potluck supper..
Updates from Committees and Working Groups:
* Our next big meeting of the TP Mobilization (all invited) is Saturday, Jan 28th at 4 pm at Piney Branch Elementary School *Speaker: Gustavo Torres, director of CASA.
– Economic Equity:
Howard Kohn Contact Economic@tpmobilization.org. Working fast and hard for a $15 living wage in Mont. Co. Join us on Tuesday in Rockville, sign up above! Next we tackle Economic Inequity. join us!
– Immigration, Sanctuary, Muslim working group: Caroline Griswold. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
– Health Care: Frank Kolb and Elise Riley. Contact email@example.com. * Next Meeting: TUES. JAN. 17th at 7 pm at HT, 7328 Carroll Ave. This committee is just getting started, join!
– Women’s March & Womens Rights: Emily Rodman, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Next meeting: ** WEDS JAN. 18th at 7 pm at the home of Suzanna. Plz Email for address. Focused on plans for the Women’s March. We need 30 bus captains if you have experience, please join us!
– Breaking Bread Together: community dinners: Tebabu and Misha. Contact breakingbread@tpmobilization.
– Stand Up!Show Up! rapid response to hate crimes or racism. Setting up a structure for rapid response and doing outreach. Contact: Ruti Kadish! email: SUSU@tpmobilization.org.* WEDS JAN 18th at 7:30. Location tbd.
– Electoral/Constitutional: Hank Prensky, Rebecca Shaeffer: Electoral@tpmobilization.org. Working on overturning citizens united with Maryland legislature, Redistricting compact between MD and VA, and the Interstate Compact to support the national popular vote. * WEDS. FEB. 8th at 7:00 PM at HT, 7328 Carroll Ave, Takoma Park.
– Education & Training: Eric Bond, contact Education@tpmobilization@org. Held workshops on Nonviolent Direct Action; Facilitation and Consensus; upcoming event:“Supporting Civil Service/Federal employees in this Administration” in Feb. ** MONDAY, January 23rd at 7 pm at HT, 7328 Carroll Ave.
– Diversity Education Films and Forum: led by Denise Jones. contact: TPMobilization@gmail.com.
– Environment: Justyna Nicinska, contact email@example.com
– Civil Rights & Civil Liberties: Keith Berner. Contact: Civil@tpmobilization.org ** next meeting: TUES. FEB. 7th at 7 pm. location tbd. Working on legislative initiatives on police review boards and other work!
– LGBTQ+: L.J. Ingram, contact LGBTQ@tpmobilization.org. Working on Gender Neutral bathrooms in public schools. Next Meeting: Saturday, 14 January, 1 pm, Capital City Cheesecake
– Artists and Graphic Designers . Jane Silver and Jane Enright. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Next meeting: THUR. JAN. 12th at 7 pm at 319 Elm Ave, garage/studio.