Takoma Park Mobilization came together after the presidential election in November 2016 to put forth a positive, progressive vision of community in spite of the fear and outrage many of us felt at the time. We are neighbors mobilizing the passions of our community to sustain and support local action for a more just and equitable society.
We work as allies to each other, building our skills and celebrating our diversity.
We commit to:
- Engaging our community to create equity and justice, and tangibly improve people’s lives.
- Operating with an open, consensus-based community process.
- Organizing locally around community, economic, environmental, and political issues on the local, regional, state, and national level.
- Embracing nonviolence as we take action.
- Working inclusively across difference including that of culture, language, class, race, gender, identity, age, immigration status, religion, viewpoint, sexual orientation, gender identity and disability.
- Building community capacity and skills, using our local resources wisely and equitably.
- Working collaboratively and in partnership with community organizations who represent the most impacted, while standing with the least powerful among us.
- Recognizing the privilege that some of us have and using the power of all of us to build a safer and healthier community for everyone.
We work through a largely decentralized structure, symbolized by the wheel in the TPM logo.