We are facing dangerous and trying times, and we can take inspiration from the strong community we are building as we take action together. On Saturday over 500 people, many new, came together to stand with Gustavo Torres of CASA and organize. We formed a new working group: Indivisible, in collaboration with national Indivisible and Move On, and we led 30 people to a meeting with Sen. Cardin’s staff on Tuesday to Resist Trump and stand strong against the nominations. We protested at airports and at the White House against Donald Trump’s Muslim ban. We stand together.
These intense days call us towards a massive response and action. The pace is intense, and we cannot do it all. And so, we ask you to consider which of these actions you can join with us in taking.
Here are FIVE actions you can take for: * Divestment of Fossil Fuels in Montgomery County * Rally in Annapolis on Saturday 4th at 12 noon, calling on Gov Hogan to stand against Trump and rallying for Immigration Trust bill * Sanctuary Teach in on Saturday 4th at 3 pm. * Resist, Retreat, Resign? A Workshop for Federal Employees * Worker’s hearings on Fight for $15 with Montgomery County Council
**Divestment on Fossil Fuels:
Tell Montgomery County to Divest from Fossil Fuels
We need your support! TP Mobilization’s Environment Committee is joining with 350 Montgomery County to pass a County Divestment Bill #44-16 that aims to divest the
county’s pension funds from fossil fuels. We are in urgent need of support from the Mobilization to write letters of support and Contact the County Council in favor of passing Bill #44-16. The committee meetings to discuss the bill take place February 2, and some Councilmembers are wavering, so your support is critical. You can write a letter by using the link below:
Fossil Fuel Divestment Campaign: Please Support Bill #44-16
*Call Councilmembers to express your support*:
Roger Berliner (District 1) 240-777-7828
Craig Rice (District 2) 240-777-7955
Sidney Katz (District 3) 240-777-7906
Nancy Navarro (District 4) 240-777-7968
Tom Hucker (District 5) 240-777-7960
Marc Elrich (At-Large) 240-777-7966
George Leventhal (At-Large) 240-777-7811
Nancy Floreen (At-Large) 240-777-7959
Hans Riemer (At-Large) 240-777-7964
**Training for Federal Employees (educ and training)
**Rally in Annapolis on Saturday! Calling on Gov. Hogan to stand against Trump!
Saturday, Feb. 4th 12:00 – 2:00 pm. Outside Government House, 110 State Circle, Annapolis, MD 21401
Join the TP Indivisible Group and TP Immigration Committee to stand with CASA and call on Hogan to stand against Trump and support statewide sanctuary with the Trust bill.
Sign up here and get information about carpooling to Annapolis.
**Sanctuary Teach In:
Takoma Park: Sanctuary City—Then and Now
A Public Teach-in on How the City’s Sanctuary Ordinance Protects ALL Our Immigrant Neighbors
Saturday, February 4, 3 PM,
Takoma Park Community Center – Sam Abbott Citizens’ Center
7500 Maple Avenue
Panel Discussion moderated by Kate Stewart, with City Manager Suzanne Ludlow; Police Chief Alan Goldberg; Montgomery County Councilmember Marc Elrich; Gustavo Torres, Executive Director CASA de Maryland; and Denyse Sabagh, Esq., Partner, Duane Morris. Other Speakers include; Maryland State Delegate Ana Sol Gutierrez; and Ward 4Councilmember Terry Seamens. Sponsored by the City of Takoma Park, the Mayor Sam Abbott Living Legacy Project of Historic Takoma, Inc., CASA, and Takoma Park Mobilization
**Fight for 15 in Montgomery County
Join the Fight for $15 Minimum Wage in MontCo
Join Casa de Maryland and others to demand a just wage for low wage workers in Montgomery County. County Executive Ike Leggett and 4 council members are standing in the way of raising the minimum wage to $15 an hour by 2020. Stand in solidarity with, and learn from, low wage workers who will share their experiences about living life on the minimum wage.
We will join a meeting of the Montgomery County Health and Human Services Committee of the Montgomery County Council. (Germantown is the most crucial hearing) Dates and times are:
- Monday Feb 13: 7-8:30 pm, Upcounty Regional Services Center, 12900 Middlebrook Rd, Germantown
- Wednesday Feb 15: 7-8:30 pm, Location still TBD. It will be either the East County Regional Services Center, 3300 Briggs Chaney Rd, Silver Spring, or the White Oak Community Recreation Center, 1700 April Lane, Silver Spring.
** Immigration Trust Act Lobby evening Monday, February 27th, Annapolis. CASA has asked us to provide rides in cars for CASA members from Hyattsville to Annapolis and back. We will send out, shortly, the sign up for this important Lobby evening. (Stay tuned for it next week!)
Get involved in a TP Mobilization Working Group!
Connect with a group below:
– Arts and Graphics. Jane Silver and Jane Enright. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Civil Rights & Civil Liberties: Keith Berner. Contact: Civil@tpmobilization.org. Next meeting: TUES. FEB. 7th at 7 pm. location tbd.
– Economic Equity: Howard Kohn. Contact Economic@tpmobilization.org. Working for a $15 living wage in Mont. Co. and Economic Equity in TP.
– Education & Training: Eric Bond, contact Education@tpmobilization@org. Next Meeting: Thurs Feb 2 at 7:00 at HT, 7328 Carroll Ave. sub group: Diversity, Inclusion, Bias & Anti-Racism Film Series: Denise Jones. Email: Education@tpmobilization.org.
– Electoral/Constitutional: Hank Prensky, Rebecca Shaeffer: Electoral@tpmobilization.org. Next meeting: Tues. FEB. 8th at 7:00 PM at HT, 7328 Carroll Ave, Takoma Park.
– Environmental: Justyna Nicinska, contact email@example.com
– Health Care: Frank Kolb and Elise. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Next Action needed: The Committee had a productive meeting on January 30th where it finalized decisions around a toolkit that will enable Marylanders to phone, write or email Governor Larry Hogan asking him to defend the Affordable Care Act and the expansion of Medicaid coverage to thousands of follow citizens. Look for this toolkit to be distributed shortly!
– Immigration, Sanctuary, Muslim: Caroline Griswold. Contact email@example.com
– LGBTQ+: L.J. Ingram, contact LGBTQ@tpmobilization.org. Next Meeting: Saturday, February 11, 2 pm, Kaldi’s Social House, 918 Silver Spring Ave, Silver Spring, MD
– Stand Up!Show Up! rapid response to hate crimes or racism. Contact: Ruti Kadish! email:SUSU@tpmobilization.org. Next meeting: Thursday February 2 at 7:30 at Historic Takoma.
– Tech Team subcommittee of COOL: Seth Grimes, Graham Copp, Lisa Goldberg: TechTeam@Tpmobilization.org.
– Women’s Committee: Emily Rodman, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Organized for the Women’s March. Beginning work on reproductive rights, women’s economic empowerment, and family rights agenda.