Takoma Park Mobilization’s mission is to act as neighbors mobilizing the passions of our community to sustain and support local action for a more just and equitable society.
We work as allies to each other, building our skills and celebrating our diversity.
These principles guide us:
- Engaging our community to create equity and justice, and tangibly improve people’s lives.
- Operating with an open, consensus-based community process.
- Organizing locally around community, economic, environmental, and political issues on the local, regional, state, and national level.
- Embracing nonviolence as we take action.
- Working inclusively across difference including that of culture, language, class, race, gender, identity, age, immigration status, religion, viewpoint, sexual orientation, gender identity and disability.
- Building community capacity and skills, using our local resources wisely and equitably.
- Working collaboratively and in partnership with community organizations who represent the most impacted, while standing with the least powerful among us.
- Recognizing the privilege that some of us have and using the power of all of us to build a safer and healthier community for everyone.
How We Work
We act together like the spokes and wheel of our brand.
We work through a largely decentralized structure, with each working group, or spoke, making autonomous decisions about what they think and do.
Once a month, the spokes send representatives to the hub of the wheel where they use consensus to make decisions together that affect TPM as a whole, in Spokescouncil.
Find out more about our working groups, the spokes that keep our wheel turning, by clicking here.
Media and partners: Here’s a file with TPM logos.